Sunday, March 5, 2017

Arizona Trip Day 2

We arrived on a Tuesday and the next day kept outselves out of the Beckstead's hair by heading out towards the Grand Canyon. I had learned before the trip that the Grand Canyon in cold - even snowy - in the winter. I hadn't previously known that. The swiftness of the temperature change was astounding though. As we left Mesa that day the kids complained about the heat. In the car, I could see the kids with pink, sweaty faces and had to run the a/c. About an hour later, there was snow on the ground. By the time we got to our hotel 2 hours outside Mesa, it was a LOT of snow and quite freezing. That night it reached, I think it was, 12 degrees. Wowsers!

For cost and other purposes I decided to stay in Williams, AZ which is about an hour away from the park. We rolled into town in the evening and nobody was really all that hungry, so we went out for some malts.
I didn't know it before, but it turns out that Williams is the last stop on the old route 66 and very much plays that up. As we drove through the town that Wednesday evening I felt like I was visiting Radiator Springs in it's heyday. :-) SO fun. 



As usual, I always try to select hotels with indoor pools. The hot tubs are the greatest appeal though.




Next day: Grand Canyon or bust!

No comments: