Wednesday, January 12, 2011

This 'n That

Last night after a busy evening in that part of town, I took the boys for chowder at the Restaurant where Brian had been working all day covering his boss's shift. Every so often when we eat there, Brian will take one or both boys into the kitchen for a little tour. They both forget the experience pretty much immediately, but this time Brennan was FASCINATED! Brian said he was in awe like a child at Disneyland. After his own tour and during Asher's turn, Brennan expressed to me that he wanted to work at this restaurant when he's a Dad. I asked, "I thought you wanted to be an astronaut/jet pilot?" He responded that he'd changed his mind. Brennan has made similar statements before and Brian always cringes.

After getting home, Brennan again told me that he wanted to work at the restaurant. I usually don't try to discourage him, but this time I said, "Daddy doesn't want you to work at the restaurant." "Why not?" he asked. "Because he wants you to work somewhere better." Brennan sighed as he said, "Fine," and in a relenting tone continued, "I'll work at the library." I'm not sure where that idea came from at all. We almost never go the library, I'm sorry to admit, and certainly not any time recently. But he wasn't done yet. He went on, "and when I get home from college I'm going to drive myself to the store and buy a watch." What a weirdo.

***************************************************

Brian and I are enjoying our new calling so far teaching CTR 6. There are 3 kindergartners and 3 1st graders. All girls, except one boy who only shows half the time or less. Interestingly, Brennan's class, the one below, is the opposite with about 6 boys and only 1 girl. Very weird how that happens. This last Sunday during our lesson, Brian posed the question "who is Lucifer?" One girl pointed to him and asked, "you?" One or two more joined in and said, "Oh yeah, it's you." We had to laugh. I asked if they know who Lucifer is, his other name, and they did not. Nothing personal Brian ;-)

***************************************************

Well, we're all doing well. Brennan was supposed to have his ear tube placement on Wed the 5th, and when I called to confirm I learned that the Dr.'s office hadn't actually put him in their schedule, therefore didn't send the requests to insurance or anything. So, it got pushed to today. Starting Monday I starting calling to confirm again, and the insurance still wasn't done thinking, so AGAIN we postponed the surgery until Friday next week. I just got a call from the Dr.'s office though that at 8am this morning he was approved, so this time we should actually be good to go. It's only been the 6th time he's been scheduled for this surgery, but whatever. As long as it gets done.

Asher and Brennan are very into costumes right now, particularly Asher. I have a bunch of old halloween ones that they like to use, and Asher especially likes a tiger (a.k.a. "tigger") one that he looks ADORABLE in. As luck would have it, the boys got pj sets from Grana that each included a small stuffed animal. Brennan's was a rhinoceros that he names "Dino" (because he thought it was a dinosaur) and Asher's was a tiger which they named "Tiggie." Asher's favorite thing to do right now is wear his costume, put Tiggie inside to his belly, then give birth to him by pulling him out. He also adopted Dino I guess because he likes to go around in his costume with the two babies together. It's really cute. Of course, when he's not doing that, he's pretending to be a pirate or Star Wars' "Captain Rex" (whoever that is) or a storm trooper. My goodness how this boy has picked up on the "fighting play."

I started helping in Brennan's classroom one a week and am LOVING that. Brennan is always very excited to see me too. I love watching his teacher interact with the children. She is very good and I can tell she really loves them all. She mentioned once at open-house that she has no children of her own so our kids really do become her kids, but I thought that was just a cliche or something. I mean, I like other people's kids all right, but I just can't love them like they're my own. In general their habits and characteristics tend to be more annoying than my own kids' and so forth. (The children of those reading this excluded) But watching Mrs. Lashley with those kids has softened my heart I think. I've now met each child in the class and I enjoyed my minutes with each and every one of them. I'm sad that I only get to do this until the end of April.

Also as of this month I've started watching my dear 2 1/2 month old niece a couple times a week. I've gotten to bond with her like I've never bonded with a niece/nephew before and it's been a great experience. She is so cute and really quite easy, I think. Maybe it's taking nursing out of the equation this time, which pretty much ruins my mothering experience for the first 6-7 months until I quit. Anyway, it's been fun to have a baby in the house again. :-)

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I used to think that I just couldn't love other people's kids as much as my own. I've been proven wrong on several occasions and it's been a great experience.

I love reading about your kids' adventures - especially their pretend play. Kids go through such interesting phases.

The best thing about Brennan's phase in regards to future employment is that you can see what he values as being very "adult". When Logan was his age he wanted Josh's job because that meant he would spend all day "playing golf and eating chocolate" - two things he enjoyed when he visited Josh's office. Of course, Josh doesn't play golf so all he really does all day is eat chocolate. ;-)

I'm glad Brennan's surgery is finally coming together. What a long, bumpy road!