Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Chouches


Back in December I randomly ran across a sectional on Craigslist that I LOVED!  It was the furniture item I never realized I NEEDED!  Lol.  Unfortunately we were beyond poor at the time and just starting a new job - still temporary.  The sectional went off CL and I was devestated and dreampt (literally) that it miraculously showed up on Craiglist again.  Like, maybe the ad had just expired and wasn't really sold????  A girl could hope, couldn't she?

That got me browsing Craigslist every day in some fanatical obsession or something.  I was looking for something similar and for as good a deal.  One day weeks later I was browsing and there was that original sectional, marked down $350 less than their original asking price! And at the time we had the two job overlaping and tax returns coming any day.  I about had a heart attack.  This was surely meant to be!  I mean, why else did the impractical and unlikely desire of my heart come true?  So you can bet your sweet bippy I contacted the seller immediately.  

If you're unfamiliar with Craigslist posting, its default setting is to post chronologically, newest at the top.  So if I'm checking it regularly, I only need to browse the top new ones until I get in to the old ones I've already looked at.  Well what happened was that this sectional had been posted the second time, but then a bunch of other people renewed their posts which means that the top of the page was all "old stuff" I'd already seen so I hadn't looked further.  When I cam across my  beloved sectional it was the next day aaaaaaaaaaand it had SOLD!  Waaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

I'm still so sad about it.  It was perfect.  Absolutely perfect.  It's been 7 months and I still have the pictures of it I'd copied and saved from the ad.  I look at them and cry a little inside every now and then.  *sigh*

Anyway, just a little story from my life.
But it brings me to...

All that looking at sectionals for the last 6 months had me pretty sold on getting a sectional in general.  The way that our living room is set up our sitting furniture can really only be arranged in an L-shape anyway, no matter what type of furniture it is.  And with our family being a family-of-six, not to mention it's our only living/family room, well the additional seating in a sectional seems like a good plus.  My last justification is that currently the corner of the "L" attracts toys, mail garbage, and all sorts of junk.  So to keep it cleaner I'd rather stick a seat there.  Hahaha.  

I searched craigslist relentlessly for months getting an idea of likelihood of what I wanted showing up. I researched brands, I waited, I pondered. I visited furniture stores for the first time in my life.  I figured Memorial Weekend would have good deals so I held off for that.  That Monday, armed with printed pictures and my husband, we hit the shops.  And we did it!  We bought our very first NEW item of furniture.  We've never owned anything brand new except for our technology devices.  I'm all growed up!  Only 31 and married 10 1/2 years and already buying my first new piece of furniture! 

We were given an estimate of 10 days for arrival, so 5 days later at the yard sale I sold our other couch.  While we waited for the sectional I brought in our lawn chairs.  The kids were quite enthralled.  We call them our "chouches" (chair-couch).  So come on over and have a seat on our chouch, ya'll. 

*


Unfortunately, two weeks later the sectional still hadn't arrived.  Contacting the company I found out that the manufacturer had oversold over the Memorial weekend so my sectional will be later in coming.  Hopefully next week (3 1/2 weeks after purchase).  Ugh.  I'm starting to loose my mind without a sofa to lounge on.  These outside chairs are not terribly comfortable, and one of them even broke from so much use. *Life*

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Chouches. I like it. Can't wait to see the new addition to the family!