Sunday, June 9, 2013


Things improved yesterday after writing the post.  I knew they would, I just didn’t know when.  I felt like documenting the stress.  See, I’m sort of afraid I may change my mind again in the future about having any more babies.  I already hardly remember the morning sickness of this one, plus the delivery was so easy (a.k.a. almost painless).  So I’ve tried to document the hard parts too so that I can look back on them and go, “Oh yeah, that’s right.  I don’t want to go through that again!”  Is that bad?  I always wanted to foster/adopt children – so that door’s not closed.  Ya know, should we ever reach a point where we could actually provide for any more…

But that’s off topic.  Things improved yesterday.  Brian took Kieran with him for a nice joined nap that lasted quite a while.  In the mean time I was able to relax and let the hormones settle down too.  Hollyn was napping, the boys were playing outside.  It was a much needed quiet-time.  I got in touch with someone selling a nice pump on Craigslist that lives nearby, and while Brian was out picking that up my milk supply came in.  Whew!  I was getting uncomfortable with potential bad habits from giving Kieran more and more formula from the dropper.  I really didn’t want to mess up my chance to nurse.  I can switch to pumping-exclusively at any time, but once I decide to stop breastfeeding I can’t go back.  It’s a HUGE stress relief to have that milk finally here!  And Kieran starting nursing better.  So again, whew!

Things are going well (enough).  Kieran has started throwing huge fits whenever he wakes up – it’s from gas.  I’m not totally sure yet if there’s anything I can do about it.  He gets so worked up that he won’t nurse or suck on a finger/pacifier or anything.  It’s really hard to get him to calm down, then he starts all over again.  It only lasts about 5 minutes or so, but it isn’t pleasant in the mean time.  Plus, once he is calmed down there’s nothing to do but nurse him.  So last night after a nice long sleep, he started waking up every hour going through this process.  Which meant I was nursing him every hour.  Thank goodness he’ll fall asleep after nursing – the saving grace.

Anyway, we’re sure happy to have this little guy.  We love him so very much!  Considering how little attention he got in the womb, I’m surprised at how totally smitten I was with him as soon as he emerged.  I just want to smooch his little cheeks all day. Smile

1 comment:

Devon Parmenter said...

What a cutie. So glad things are getting better!