Saturday, August 1, 2009

We had such a fun time playing at the beach about 2 weeks ago. It all started when I realized that I'm a horrible mother who never does anything fun with her kids. So, that day I decided that we would go to the beach. However, as I don't like to sacrifice nap time, we waited until after Asher woke up, which was after 4pm. I'd promised Brennan though, so I couldn't get out of it.

By the time we got there it was 5:30pm. The sun was still out and nice and warm... that is, until we got to the coast itself. Hanging over Newport, thick and heavy, the grayest fog ever. We'd come all that way though, so we pressed on.

Despite the fog, the beach weather was actually sort of pleasant. There was no wind, so after a few minutes Brennan shed his jacket and sweat pants for his Tshirt and shorts. The fog was apparently holding in just enough heat to keep it pretty nice feeling.

Asher LOVED the sand. We haven't been since last year, and at that time he wouldn't stop eating it. This time it got stuck on his runny nose, but at least he didn't put any in his mouth. He just went up and down the little sand hill next to our blanket, having a dandy 'ol time.

At one point, we walked to dip our toes in the water, or at least I think we did. We couldn't actually distinguish the water for the fog, but regardless, before getting to it, Brennan changed his mind so we went back to the dry sand.

Stopping at the restaurant for dinner was NOT as fun. They were really busy, so it took a while to be seated, but even still, I was totally unprepared to wait 30 minutes to be greeted by a server and have our order taken, then wait another 30 minutes for the beverages and my soup. This wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for the fact that Asher developed a bad cough right when we walked in the restaurant. I wanted so badly to just get him a drink so stop the constant hacking, but the server just kept walking past and I didn't have the gumption to jump up and beg for our order/the drinks.

After the initial arrival of drinks and my chowder, things were staggered, so I never felt like I had a good opportunity to grab a server and say, "sorry, I can't wait any longer, can I have the check for what we've received so far?" Like, 10 minutes after I got my soup and drinks, she asked if Brennan wanted his soup (he ordered clam chowder, his favorite food) and got it. Then a while after that is when my entre arrived. All in all, I waited almost an hour and half for 1 dinner, 1 cup of chowder, and 3 drinks, which were all consumed in a total of about 7 minutes. Incidently, besides the coughing, Asher was crying the entire time. It was kind of a nightmare.


Kelly said...

First of are not a horrible mother. I don't take my kids to the beach either and I don't have nearly the excuse that you do. looks like the boys had a great time. And I bet it was nice to get out of the house for awhile and escape the summer heat.

Third...I would have been just as hesitant as you at the restaurant. We both could use a little more gumption because that was just a ridiculous experience. I would call and complain to the manager about it, still. Just let them know you won't be going back because the food was not worth the slow service! Managers need to know those things. (Or make Brian call).

Love the photos! Thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

Uh, I hate when stuff like that happens at restaurants! Glad you got to go to the beach, looks like fun! I love the hair, super cute.