Tuesday, February 17, 2015

My quick story needs some context:

I've been waking up on my own lately around the same time as I get up for work now.  But after being up in the middle of the night last night with a tummy issue I was still sound asleep when my alarm DIDN'T go off this morning.  Over an hour later than I was supposed to arise I bounded out of bed to get the boys ready and find them a ride to school after missing the bus.  I did not spend the time getting gussied up for the day, we'll put it that way.  I showered, but no hair product or makeup.

After work as I walked to my car I passed a man (homeless perhaps) on his bike who stopped when he got to me.

"Can I ask you a question?" he asked
"Sure" I replied, smiling friendlily despite my apprehension.
"Well besides the fact that your blue sweater looks really nice with your reddish hair and your pretty face..." he trailed off blushing a little and chuckling at his forthright complements.
I laughed as I thanked him and joked "besides that though..."
And he finished, "but do you know what time it is by any chance?  I can't see the courthouse clock from here."

Not bad for a plain-Jane day. :-)

In the last three times I've walked to my car after work I've given my last $2 in cash to a homeless couple, a pen to another homeless couple making their cardboard sign, and now the time to a random man with excellent taste. ;-)  Working downtown can be interesting.

No comments: